Yay, another mom & daughter bonding activity!
We usually do the 45 to 60 minutes routine together. We choose the routines that’s interesting and fun for both of us. Aina does Ballet, so she’s waaaay more flexible than I am… and she loves to show it off and rub it on my face…
I don’t usually correct her posture or anything; I just let her do whatever she wants on the mat. Aina, much like other kids, has a much shorter attention span, so there were times when she start doing things out of the routine, like bringing pillows into the mat and decided to sleep in it. Or playing with her towel and forgetting the Yoga… It’s fine. Eventually, she’ll come back when she feels like it.
I’d like to think that this yoga session is something that she sees often, like mom’s habit. Like tooth brushing, cooking, making-up bed… and hopefully, she identifies exercises as something that comes naturally like a habit. A fun habit, though, that everyone can join… even Koda the Dog.
Things I would do when I do yoga with Aina:
- Starts with short routine, 15-30 minutes, just in case it gets boring for the kid. When Yoga becomes a fun thing to do for them, they’ll as for longer routine 🙂
- Don’t worry if the kid(s) starts to drift off and lose concentration… their attention span is much shorter than us. Just keep it fun.
- I always tell her that if she gets tired or bored, she can always stop. I’d probably keep going, and she can stop anytime she wants.
- Wear similar outfit… I’m not sure if it works for everyone, but Aina loves wearing (and doing) things like her mom.
- Last but not Least: Have fun! Smile! Laugh!